You are here: Home Studies FAQs

Frequently asked questions

When is the application deadline for the M.Sc. SSE?
  • Application will be possible from March 20th until May 15th 2019.


What if my application arrives late?
  • Your application will only be accepted if all documents are complete and submitted by the deadline.


When does the M.Sc. SSE start?

  • The M.Sc. SSE starts in winter term (October) every year. Application for the summer term is not possible.


Where do I find a more detailed description of the Master Program's content?

  • If you would like to find out details about modules and courses offered by the SSE program, check out its current module handbook.


What is the duration of the course?

The usual duration of the M.Sc. SSE is two years (4 semesters/terms).


How much are the tuition fees?

  • EU-students do not have to pay tuition fees. However, a small semester fee of ca. 160 Euro per semester is to be paid by every student at the University.


May I get a fee receipt acknowledgement after paying the tuition fees?

Yes, by request (not automatically). Please send your request to


How much is the cost of living in Freiburg?

  • An estimate of the cost of living in Freiburg can be found here.


Do you offer any scholarships?

  • Scholarship information is available here.


What if my English language certificate is not valid anymore?Sometimes, language certificates show an expiration date. The IAS will only accept language certificates which are not expired yet. Usually, TOEFL and IELTS test results are valid for two years.


When does the teaching period start and end?

  • Winter term starts on October 1st, every year, and ends at the end of March. Teaching period in winter term starts around October 15th, and ends around February 15th. Summer term starts on April 1st, every year and ends at the end of September. Detailed timetables can be found here.
  • The "orientation week" takes place in October the week before lectures start, i.e. 8.-12. October 2018. Some events might even take place the week before.
  • We highly recommend every new student to arrive on time for the orientation week; ideally already around October 1st.


Am I eligible for the program?

Please note that we cannot evaluate your degree until you have submitted your application to the University of Freiburg with all of the necessary supporting documents. It is not possible to have your educational records evaluated before applying.


What if my German language skills are not good enough?

  • Although a few elective courses are taught in German, it is perfectly possible to study the M.Sc. Sustainable Systems Engineering entirely in English. Hence, German proficiency is not required for your studies.
  • However, it will make your life (and job hunt after graduation) in Freiburg much easier if you speak a bit of German.
  • The M.Sc. SSE program does not comprise German language courses. However, as a student you have access to plenty of language courses at the University or at other institutions, some at cost, some for free. You should definitely learn German while you are here - living in a country and spending time with Germans is the best way to learn the language! And it will increase your chances for a job in Germany afterwards by a lot!


Can I send my application documents via E-Mail?
  • No. Originals or certified copies of all application documents  are necessary for us to be able to verify the authenticity of the documents. E-Mail applications are not accepted and will be ignored.


Do I have to send a proof of my financial resources?

  • No. You will, however, need to submit such a proof to the German Embassy or Immigration Office (Ausländeramt) when applying for your visa.


How does an officially certified copy look like?

An official certification can be provided by any public body or government agency that has an official seal or stamp  (Dienstsiegel).  Examples  include  registration  offices  (Bürgerbüros)  or  the  local  registration  offices  of the State Residents’ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt), as well as embassies and consulates if foreign academic records are to be certified.
The  institution  (school,  higher  education  institution)  that  originally  issued  the  record  in  question  can  also certify a copy of that record as well as sworn translators. Click here for more details.


I have filled the online application but I cannot print it. Why?

  • First of all you have to "submit" your application. Please log in once again, click on "edit application", click on "next" until you get to a long page with all the data you have entered. Scroll to the bottom of that page, check the box and click on "submit". After that you will get to a page where you can download and print the pdf form. Please do not forget to sign it!


Can I work during my studies?

  • Yes, as a student you are allowed to work max. 85 hours each month on campus or 120 days full-time (or 240 days part-time) per year off campus.


Does the University have accommodation on campus? 
  • Yes, the University has a variety of accommodation options. Information can be found on the SWFR website.


What exactly do I need for enrollment at Freiburg University?

Please read all about enrollment/matriculation here.

The deadline for enrollment/matriculation is usually around mid of October. Please make sure you arrive on time.


Defer / postpone my admission? Can I join for the next semester/year?
  • It is not possible to postpone the admission granted for one year/semester. You will need to re-apply.


How can I get the residence permit?

Students who intend to stay for a longer period in Germany have to have a residence permit. The responsible authority is the foreigner’s office. For the residence permit you will need the following documents:

  • proof of enrollment from the university,
  • a proof of financing and
  • a valid health insurance.

A residence permit for the purpose of studying is issued for a period of two years and has to be extended before the two years run out. When you are going to extend your visa you always have to show a valid insurance contract.