You are here: Home Studies Finances


Your financial resources are an important aspect of your plan. Before you leave your home country, you must secure sufficient funds to finance your stay in Freiburg.


Be prepared to pay for the following expenses during your stay:

1) Semester contribution

All university students are required to pay the so-called semester contribution.

The semester contributions is currently 155 Euro per semester and has to be paid in advance of every semester. For the deadlines and further information see the Student Service Center website.

The amount comprises 78 € student services fee for the Studierendenwerk (incl. the initial contribution for the semester ticket), 70 € administrative fee, 7 €  student government fee.

2) Tuitions fees for non-EU students and second degrees

German universities are funded in large part by the federal government, and as a result, they charge relatively low tuition fees. The State of Baden-Württemberg decided to introduce tuition fees for non-EU students  and for all students seeking a second bachelor's/master’s degree by winter semester 2017/18.

The university charges 1500 € per semester for non EU-students and 650 € per semester for second degree seekers.

Each year, a fixed number of students defined by the ministry of science and education can be exempt from tuition fees due to their exceptional academic aptitude. Furthermore, starting in the winter semester of 2019/20, the University of Freiburg will issue three education vouchers per semester to each international student who has to pay for their studies.

Please find all the information about tuition fees, the exemption options and the vouchers on the website of the Student Service Center.

3) Basic living expenses

Compared to other European countries, Germany is not overly expensive. The price of food, accommodation, clothing, leisure and cultural activities, etc. is equivalent to the EU average. It is difficult to say exactly how much money a student in Germany needs per month. The amount of money you will need greatly depends on how economically you live.

Students are eligible for numerous price concessions. With a student ID, you can receive concessions on tickets and entrance fees to theatres, cinemas, museums and other cultural venues.

The regular program duration is four semesters; however, you should take into consideration that you might need five semesters to complete the program.

Considering all these points, students should expect expenses in a range of 690-930 € per month. See the Studierendenwerk website for further information.

The Studierendenwerk also offers service packages for international students which include accommodation, a health insurance policy and other benefits.

4) Health insurance coverage

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all students in Germany. Without proof of coverage, the University of Freiburg or any other university will accept you. 

With an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you are also insured in Germany. In some circumstances, health insurance from private providers in other countries may also be recognised in Germany.

If your insurance policy in your home country is insufficient, you will have to take out a policy in Germany. Generally, you have the option between a public or a private health insurance coverage. However, you have to think very carefully about whether you want to be privately insured as a student. The German health care system is quite complex and the monthly contribution should not be the crucial criteria!

Before you decide, check out the information about health insurance on the Studierendenwerk website.

The Studierendenwerk also offers service packages for international students which include accommodation, a health insurance policy and other benefits.

Funding and Financing

You now have an idea of the costs you can expect. however, you may not have to pay for everything yourself. There are a few scholarships and funding and financing possibilities that can help students pay for their studies In Freiburg.

A lot of internationals must provide what is called a Finanzierungsnachweis or proof of financial resources. In most cases you are required to include this document with your visa application. At the latest, you will need it when you apply for a residence permit. Proof of finacial resources can be provided in various ways. There is no standard regulation stipulating what suffices as proof. Be sure to enquire at the German embassy in your country as to which form of financial proof is required.


Compared to other countries, German universities rarely award scholarships. So, there is no particular scholarship for the master’s program in Sustainable Systems Engineering.

Check out the following links to sites of the Faculty of Engineering and the Student Service Center for further information about your options.

Generally, international students can apply to numerous organisations for a scholarship to party-related foundations, religious institutions or business-related organisations. You can find information on the various types of scholarships e.g. in the DAAD scholarship database, along with suitable offers. You should also look into scholarships or other funding opportunities available in your home country.

Student Jobs

Students have a special status in Germany and enjoy many financial privileges. Therefore, student work next to studying is regulated by law in Germany and depends on your nationality, too. International students are only allowed to work in Germany under certain conditions. If you are from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland, you can work as much as you want up to the limit of 20 hours per week or 85 hours per month during a semester. If you work more than that, you will lose your status as a student, and you will need to make social security contributions. If you are a citizen of another than the above mentioned countries you can only work for 120 full days or 240 half days per year. If you want to work more, you need to receive permission from the Federal Employment Agency and the Immigration Office of the City of Freiburg (see Contact Information). As a rule, international students are not allowed to start their own business or work as freelancers.

Student jobs in research or teaching offered by the different departments or department chairs at the university are called Hiwi jobs.

You can look for student jobs online and on the various black boards on campus.


The job openings at the Freiburg-based Fraunhofer research institutes can be found on their websites:


Other (non-academic) jobs in and around Freiburg can be found here: